On April 25, 2013, news of development of a live adaptation of the series by HBO and Guillermo del Toro hit the internet. Several websites posted the update which was received with mixed reactions (mostly positive) by fans across various platforms.
On May 12, 2013, the director revealed that the adaptation would follow the original storyline very closely, without any extra content added to increase the episode count. It was also made known that Naoki Urasawa would be reviewing an outline of each episode before its production was allowed.
- Guillermo Del Toro Plans 'Monster' Manga Series for HBO
- Guillermo del Toro Bringing Monster Manga to HBO
- Guillermo Del Toro Is Hatching A ‘Monster’ Of a Series At HBO
- Guillermo del Toro to Adapt ‘Monster’ Manga as HBO Series
- Guillermo Del Toro To Bring 'Monster' Manga To HBO
- Del Toro: HBO Monster Show Would Follow Manga Closely